Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bonnet Babies crochet square (free pattern)




1. Koala, 2. Duck, 3. Kangaroo, 4. Penguin, 5. Red Eyed Frog, 6. Year of the Pig Square

Meet the Bonnet Babies. This is number 7 in my rugalugs series.




I designed this one as as quick novelty square to be used in charity blankets and rugs. My intention here that this one would be free on my blog. While the pattern is copyright and you cant sell it, you can make as many things as you can for charity. That is the goal!

Each square uses a minimum of yarn and I imagined they would look quite colourful in a variety of colours. The hardest part is finding a good skin coloured yarn; light apricot often works well, but is hard to find.


There are actually 2 squares - a bonnet baby girl, and a bonnet baby boy. The girl has a frilly bonnet, and the boy a plain bonnet. I like to add a dimensional component to my squares, and the bonnets, bow and nose all pop out. I suggest you mix these with a plain granny. While this square is about 11cm/4inches you can make it larger by adding extra rounds. I am sure they have multiple applications, and with Easter approaching bonnets are in season!

I hope you like it. If you do use it I would love to hear which charities you are supporting, and even see some photos of finished products. It is so easy to download something from the internet, without providing feedback.

As with all my patterns there are both Australian /British and American versions. So make sure you use the correct one or your babies might look a bit odd. Have fun!



Bonnet Baby Square (c) 2007crochetroo
Australian instructions


· 8 ply yarn, worsted weight, or double knit yarn - size 8 (4mm) hook
· Square measures approximately 11cm/ 4inches.
· The Baby is worked in anticlockwise rounds giving a right and wrong side. Some stitches are worked through the front or back loops only so look out for these.

Baby Face

Skin Colour
Round 1: 4ch into 4th ch from hook work 10tr, 4tr popcorn, slst into top of start ch to form a circle =12.

Round 2: 3ch, 1tr same place, (2tr next st) around, slst join finish off, weave in ends= 24

Bonnet colour
Round 3: Join bonnet colour in the first st of round 2. Work front loops only.
Girl: 1dc next 6, (3tr next st, 1dc next st) 5times, 1dc next 6st, bows – (1dc 8ch 1slst into dc) into next st twice, slst join and weave in ends.

Boy: 1dc next 6, 2htr next st, 2tr next 8st, 2htr next st, 1dc next 6st, bows – (1dc 8ch 1slst into dc) into next st twice, slst join and weave in ends.

Background

Round 1: This round is worked in back loops only. Each side consists of a corner, and 4 stitches along the side. Check that your baby is centred.
Fold the bonnet forward, join contrast in back loop behind 3rd dc to the left of the bow. (3ch 1tr 2ch 2tr) into this loop, *1dc next 4st along side of head, miss 1st, work corner (2tr 2ch 2tr) next st, repeat pattern from * finishing with a slst into top of starting ch.

Round 2: From here you will work between the stitches. All corners are 3tr 3ch 3tr.
Slst to 2ch sp, (3ch 2tr 3ch 3tr) start corner into this sp, * (miss 2, 2tr between stitches) 3times make corner of (3tr 3ch 3tr) in ch sp, repeat pattern from * finishing with a slst into top of starting ch.

Round 3: Start with a slst in a corner. Work (1dc 3ch 1dc) in corners; 3ch 1dc in spaces around. Slst finish off round.

Stitch 2 eyes either side of nose. I weave the yarn through the stitches to get a neat finish.
Stitch a rose bud mouth under nose.




Bonnet Baby Square (c) 2007 crochetroo
American instructions


· 8 ply yarn, worsted weight, or double knit yarn - size 8 (4mm) hook
· Square measures approximately 11cm/ 4inches.
· The Baby is worked in anticlockwise rounds giving a right and wrong side. Some stitches are worked through the front or back loops only so look out for these.

Baby Face

Skin Colour
Round 1: 4ch into 4th ch from hook work 10dc, 4dc popcorn, slst into top of start ch to form a circle =12.

Round 2: 3ch, 1dc same place, (2dc next st) around, slst join finish off, weave in ends= 24

Bonnet colour
Round 3: Join bonnet colour in the first st of round 2. Work front loops only.
Girl: 1sc next 6, (3dc next st, 1sc next st) 5times, 1sc next 6st, make bows – (1sc 8ch 1slst into c) into next st twice, slst join and weave in ends.

Boy: 1sc next 6, 2hdc next st, 2dc next 8st, 2hdc next st, 1sc next 6st, make bows – (1sc 8ch 1slst into sc) into next st twice, slst join and weave in ends.

Background

Round 1: This round is worked in back loops only. Each side consists of a corner, and 4 stitches along the side. Check that your baby is centred.
Fold the bonnet forward, join contrast in back loop behind 3rd dc to the left of the bow. (3ch 1dc 2ch 2dc) into this loop, *1sc next 4st along side of head, miss 1st, work corner (2dc 2ch 2dc) next st, repeat pattern from * finishing with a slst into top of starting ch.

Round 2: From here you will work between the stitches. All corners are 3dc 3ch 3dc.
Slst to 2ch sp, (3ch 2dc 3ch 3dc) start corner into this sp, * (miss 2, 2dc between stitches) 3times, make corner (3dc 3ch 3dc) in ch sp, repeat pattern from * finishing with a slst into top of starting ch.

Round 3: Start with a slst in a corner. Work (1sc 3ch 1sc) in corners; 3ch 1sc in spaces around. Slst finish off round.

Stitch 2 eyes either side of nose. I weave the yarn through the stitches to get a neat finish.
Stitch a rose bud mouth under nose.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy your babies.

(c) crochetroo Australia 2007

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey they are really beautiful...great job and thanks for sharing these with us...and hey as Easter is round the corner also drop by my blog on Easter Wishes sometime and check out all the wonderful stuff it's filled up with!!!

Anonymous said...

I came to your site through a google search for fan bookmarks. And gosh what have I found here !

You, have some SERIOUS talent AND you are gracious enough to share the sweat of your brain ( huh? ) with others! How much better does it get.

I'm gushing here because I swear I've fallen in love with ALL your big/small creations. They're all without exception superlative.

I salute the brain that thinks up such colourful and lovely designs and I'm in awe of those hands that made simple lowly yarn/thread leap to life.

Wow! I'm simply bowled over by your creativity.

Yours sincerely

crochet_fan

Deborah L said...

Love your stuff. I do find that trying to copy out the free patterns gives me a very faint copy on white. (I don't have a printer hooked to this computer, so I email stuff to the one that does have a printer.) I make a variety of things for my chuch's holiday boutique and am always looking for new patterns. Thanks, Deb

myoopie said...

Hello,they are really beautiful..Your blog very nice..greetings...

http://myoopie.blogcu.com

Anonymous said...

Just found your stuff on the net. How sweet!! I do hats and mittens for our local food pantries here in Maine, and baby items for the hospitals. I can't wait to get started with these patterns. Thank you so much. Marcia

Anonymous said...

hello, i love to crochet and came across your great animal squares. i would love to make a blanket for my niece. if you could e-mail me the patterns for the kangaroo, and koala, i would just love it! poisongirl35@msn.com. thanks! -crissy

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love your site. I was wondering how can I get one of your frog motif patterns. I would like to make something with frogs on it for my new grandson who will be born in Oct, this year. Thank You for your time. hummingbird_in_mo@sbcglobal.net Please let me know. You do beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Your animal squares are lovely! Are the patterns available somewhere? I'd love to make an animal afghan for a friend who has finally gotten pregnant after years of trying.

Thank you!

fawn said...

I am about ready to cry my eyes out.

Why?

because of your generousity.

How utterly kind you are to share these beautiful patterns at no cost.

Thank you, so much.

I have been looking for a baby blanket pattern to crochet. I have one in mind, but it is one huge square, I wanted to do something with smaller squares also.

I have searched for the perfect blanket or patterns. I have even bought a few of them, even searching books and buying a few of those.

Finally, through a Ravelry link I found you.

And this blanket, which with the squares I can design now and where, so I can make it for my nephews first baby.

Thank you so much.


I sure will be linking this page on my Blog.

Leelou said...

Your blog is marvellous !!!!
I'm french and my english is bad but
I like very well all your "works", your patterns and your "engagement" for the nature
I have not find the free patterns (animals for my little-girl, 8 years old)