Sunday, May 28, 2006

Scallop Tea Cosy Instructions


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scallop Tea Cosy 

 FREE PATTERN

(Australian, English Instructions)


USE THE CORRECT INSTRUCTIONS

(c) 2006. Pattern not to be reproduced. While I am happy for you to make these for personal use, gifts and charity fundraising, do not sell to make a personal profit. crochetroo Australia


Large Pot
8 ply yarn
Size 8 or 4mm hook

Leaving a thread of about 30cm, chain 39

Row 1
Miss 5ch make *(1tr, 1ch, 1tr) into next ch, 2ch, miss 2ch, 1dc into next chain, 2ch, miss 2ch. Repeat from 8 across row finishing in a dc. You should have 6 treble V groups. Turn.

Row 2
1ch, 1dc into last dc of previous row. *Working around treble of V below, work 6fptr, 1ch turn work so that the V is sideways, and the point facing right. Work up 2nd tr post of V work 6fptr; 1 dc into next dc. Repeat across from * You should have 6 scallops and finish on a dc in to the 3rd ch of the first 5ch of row 1. Turn. The trick is in the front post treble. You need to work down the first treble from top to bottom, then up the second one from bottom to top.

Row 3
1ch 1dc into first dc. Ch2, *(1 tr, 1ch, 1tr) into next 1ch space between V, 2ch, 1dc into next dc, 2ch, Repeat from * across row finishing in a dc.

(Note: I have been doing these for so long I find it hard to explain, but this bit seems to trick people up. There are basically 2 rows, the V row which is the base row, and the scallop row. As you work you will end up with a definate right and wrong side.
On the 3rd row you do a ch 1, 1dc in the last dc of the row below. This will give you a firm edge for when you join this up. Do 2 ch, and then into the space made between your scallops you do 1tr 1ch 1tr. This forms a V. If the scallop row wasnt there you would see that all the Vs are on top of each other. Then do 2 ch and 1dc into the dc between the scallops. The scallops will point down so you are actually looking at the back of the tr. It gets easier as you go along and the fabric takes shape.)

Row 4 as for row 2.

Work 12 rows scallops (24 rows). To achieve a striped effect do 2 rows of each colour.
Leave a thread of about 30 cm on last row.

Make 2 pieces the same.















The back should look like this.
Using the starter thread, stitch sides together at bottom for 2 scallops catching dc only. Repeat at the top. You may need to stitch more depending on your pot size. You should have 1 hole at each side of the rectangle for the spout and handle.

Using double thread, crochet approx 60 cm of chain. Thread this through the 2nd last row behind the V and in front of the dc. Pull tight and make a bow.

Put the kettle on, and make a nice pot of tea knowing it will stay warm for hours.

Small Pot
Chain 33, and work with 5 treble Vs

Work 8 rows scallops

If you are unsure of how many stitches I make a chain of 27, 33, 39, 45.

Each 6 chain will give you one scallop. I measure this against the thickest part of the pot.

Make as many scallops as required until you have the height of the pot.

If it is a very small pot, say less than 5 scallops, I do 5 treble in each post instead of 6.


Scallop Tea Cosy

(American Instructions)
(c) 2006. Pattern not to be reproduced. While I am happy for you to make these for personal use, gifts and charity fundraising, do not sell to make a personal profit. crochetroo Australia

Size G (4mm) hook and worsted weight yarn.

Leaving a thread of about 12 inches, chain 39

Row 1
Miss 5ch make *(1dc, 1ch, 1dc) into next ch, 2ch, miss 2ch, 1sc into next chain, 2ch, miss 2ch. Repeat from 8 across row finishing in a sc. You should have 6 dc V groups. Turn.

Row 2
1ch, 1sc into last sc of previous row. *Working around dc of V below, work 6fpdc, 1ch turn work so that V is sideways and the point facing right. Work up 2nd dc post of V work 6fpdc then 1sc into next sc. Repeat across from *. You should have 6 scallops and finish on a sc in to the 3rd ch of the first 5ch of row 1. Turn.
The trick is in the front post double crochet. You need to work down the first dc from top to bottom, then up the second dc from bottom to top.

Row 3
1ch 1sc into first sc. Ch2, *(1dc, 1ch, 1dc) into next 1ch space between V, 2ch, 1sc into next sc, 2ch, Repeat from * across row finishing in a sc.
(note: This bit seems to trick people up. I have been doing these for so long I find it hard to explain, I am really sorry. There are basically 2 rows, the V row which is the base row, and the scallop row. As you work you will end up with a definate right and wrong side.
On the 3rd row you do a ch 1, 1sc in the sc of the row below. This will give you a firm edge for when you join this up. Do 2 ch, and then into the space made between your scallops you do 1dc 1ch 1dc. This forms a V. If the scallop row wasnt there you would see that all the Vs are on top of each other. Then do 2 ch and 1sc into the sc between the scallops. The scallops will point down so you are actually looking at the back of the dc. It gets easier as you go along and the fabric takes shape.)

Row 4 as for row 2.

Work 12 rows scallops (24 rows). To achieve a striped effect do 2 rows of each colour.
Leave a thread of about 12inches on last row.

Make 2 pieces the same. Using the starter thread, stitch sides together at bottom for 2 scallops catching dc only. Repeat at the top. You may need to stitch more depending on your pot size. You should have 1 hole at each side of the rectangle for the spout and handle.

Using double thread, crochet approx 24 inches of chain. Thread this through the 2nd last row behind the V and in front of the sc. Pull tight and make a bow.

Put the kettle on, and make a nice pot of tea knowing it will stay warm for hours.

Small Pot

Chain 33, and work with 5 double crochet Vs

Work 8 rows scallops

If you are unsure of how many stitches I make a chain of 27, 33, 39, 45.

Each 6 chain will give you one scallop. I measure this against the thickest part of the pot.

Make as many scallops as required until you have the height of the pot.

If it is a very small pot, say less than 5 scallops, I do 5 double crochet in each post instead of 6.

83 comments:

blondebabypeaches said...

Thank you very muchly! I love this so much - ill even go buy a tea pot just so I can make it!

KK said...

G'day! Thanks so much for posting this incredible pattern!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cupcake! This tea cozy is one of the most original patterns I've seen! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Love the tea cozy and pattern! It's very sweet of you to share it. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

I had fun making this tea cosy and I have gotten a lot of comments on it from friends.

It really brightens up a tea pot.

Mary Jo (Tampa Doll)

Kiki said...

Cupcake, I can't thank you enough for posting this pattern!! I can't wait to make one!

Kiki (aka ChainOFools)

The Bookworm said...

hi there, wow, wonderful blog and beautiful patterns! I'm going to have to buy a teapot just so I can have a reason to make the cozy :)

nukkingphutz said...

Hey Cupcake (this is nucki, btw). I haven't actually made it yet, but I wanted to let you know I snagged the pattern and WILL be making it sometime soon. I've been wanting to make a tea cosy for my tea pot so I could actually USE it (darned tea gets too cold too fast without it), but didn't see one I liked until now. Thanks for being so generous and letting us have the pattern! **HUGS**

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try it.

Gloworm said...

Sheer brilliance Cupcake, absolutely sheer brilliance! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your generosity! My hubby is the tea drinker so he thanks you too! Have a WONDERFUL day!

Deb said...

That is sooo cute. I think that is one of the cutest patterns I've seen!

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Thank you...this is the first pattern I've come across that I want to do!
My teapot will love it!
Red

jaclim said...

Thanks for sharing the pattern, Susan! I loved your fan bookmark and would love to try this too!

Anonymous said...

This is an awsome pattern. Have you ever tried doing it straight across to make an afghan? Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I just want to let you know that I visited your blog !
Nice idea to share your patterns !
It seems that people are loving them !

Cheers (from France)

Manon

Anonymous said...

Thank You so much from Waco, Texas. I have made knitted tea cozies but not crocheted ones. My very eldarly parents love their tea and love bright pretty things. This fits all criteria. Again, I say a gret big THANK YOU!...NanNan

Tina said...

Wonderful pattern, cupcake! I love it! You are an artistic genius. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Miz Roo .. not only for the pattern itself but for being considerate enough to interpret it for both UK and US fiberworkers. It's rare to find that much courtesy and I truly appreciate it. The pattern itself is charming and I can see a bunch of these at the next fundraiser. MORE patterns, please .. itmight be the first you've written but you've done very, VERY well! Warm hugs!

Yammy said...

Thanks so much cupcake! I think that is just cool! Have my yarn picked out already :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks cupcake... the more I think about this the more I want to make one. :o) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for allowing me to test this pattern...I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's such a neat idea and turns out so quickly and nicely. We have the most wonderful little tea and sandwich shop in our town that a close friend and I frequently weekly. I think I'll make one to send to them just as a "thank you" for being so great. Kudos!

the fabled needle (jen) said...

I absolutely love it! Can't wait to make my own. I have free patterns too so take a look at my site, if you want, and see if there's anything you like: http://www.fablehandmadegoods.com


Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I love this!!
It's not as stuffy as some other cozy patterns and it's not TOO cutesy, either :)

Sonia said...

Thank you so much for posting this!
I have been needing to make one! It came out so pretty!
I'm adding you to my favorites!

Anonymous said...

Thanks soooo much for sharing!! I can't wait to make one for my new kitchen! I've been admiring this tea cozy for a long time!

Tammy said...

Thank you for the pattern! I'm thinking of using this one for the Crochetville swap! It's SO pretty!

Anonymous said...

I think your pattern is lovely. I just wanted to say to anyone who is from Australia, New Zealand, UK, etc. that I have always been impressed by how thoughtful you are to write your patterns in North American terms as well. Although we can translate them for ourselves, you save us the trouble. I think North Americans should try to be just as thoughtful and do the same in return! Thanks again.

spyderkl said...

Hello! I've come over from the Craftzine blog. Beautiful job with the pattern! I'm tempted to try the Australian/European directions, just to learn the differences. Thanks so much for writing the American directions too!

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. what does Miss mean? i am pretty new at crochet. thanks.

crochetroo said...

Miss means skip, or "miss" that stitch and work into the next one. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern. I was looking for a stitch that I saw used in a baby garment. The crocheter could not remember the name of it but it looked like layers of scallops, so I searched with the words "scallop crochet" and came across your tea cosy picture and directions. I will try your directions. I am an inexperienced crocheter and I am sure I will learn from this. Again, thanks so much.
P.S. I live in Virginia and have never been to Australia. Thank you for teaching me more about Australia. I am sure I will be able to use the information in conversations with grandchildren.

Anonymous said...

Great pattern. . .THANKS for sharing! I belong to a group who use their fund-raising money for educational scholarships for women.
IF i can make this, it will go to a good cause!!
California Senior!
P.S. We DO have an International scholarship!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cupcake;
Thanks for the Pattern. I'm in Texas and you have no idea how hard it is to find Tea Cozies or patterns for them. I showed the pattern to my husband and he thinks it is great and wants me to make a few in different color combos.Looking forward to making them for gifts also .Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Your tea cosy is beautiful, and I'd love to try out the pattern myself. However, I come from a non-English speaking country, and where I'm from crochet patterns always come in symbol charts, so I'm having a little trouble here. At Row 2, what do "work around dc of V below, work 6fpdc" and "work up 2nd dc post of V" mean?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern! It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

hello cupcake!
I`m from brazil.. thanks for sharing the pattern!

Anonymous said...

I made one immediately, day after I saw this cozy. I had been looking for one for a long time. This has lots of pockets of air, I am sure it will really insulate the pot.

Thanks for sharing. Next one will be made with pretty yarn rather than scraps.

caroline said...

hi, this is really lovely -thanks very much. My brother and wife are getting one for christmas!

Anonymous said...

Your tea cozys are just beautiful. I quess I will have to start drinking tea. Thank you for sharing your pattern.

I was also wondering if you are sharing your UGG PATTERN I really like the looks of them and my feet are always cold.

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing the pattern for the adorable tea cosy.

remi said...

Nice blog.

Greatings from Belgium

Anonymous said...

I am new to crocheting and wanted to make a special gift for my Mum's birthday. I decided to try this as I have been practicing since Christmas...and it is WONderful! She will be so pleased. Thank you so much for this pattern.
God bless,
Barbara in Fort Worth, Texas

M.முஹம்மது பதுருதீன். said...

very wonderful hand work.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, and what a great site. I'll be making one of these for my mum for her birthday - she'll love it

zippiknits...sometimes said...

That's such a pretty cosy. Thank you very much for posting your pattern and the pictures. I'm bookmarking your blog.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely old pattern I always bought a tea cosy of a old lady that I have since lost touch now I will be able to make my own
Thanks Jan

Stephanie said...

Thank you SO MUCH for posting your tea cozy pattern. I'm going to start it right after I finish my Ravelympics projects. By then, I will have my printer back from being fixed and can even print it out!

AMuseD said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern, nice crocheted tea cosies are so hard to find. I seem to have done something wrong though... my rows are way too close together, and after 15 rows I've just reached the rim of my 2 cup pot. It could just be that I sometimes crochet too tightly, but I use a slightly larger hook to compensate for that. It would be great if anyone could offer me suggestions, although it should definitely keep my tea warm!

Keep up the fantastic work, Cupcake. You're in my favourites.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this pattern. I really like it and plan to make some for Christmas presents. I'd like to give you one of my patterns in return, if you'd like one that is. Let me know. Hugs!http://shelleden.etsy.com
http://crochetcabin.bravehost.com

One Woolly Wombat said...

Cupcake, it is so generous of you to allow us to use this fab pattern. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely pattern, which I'll crochet for my new teapot. Best regards from Montevideo, Uruguay. Alicia Garcia

Kirsten Carroll Somoza said...

Thank you for sharing this! I made a cozy for my Mum for her birthday... she's going to love it! And it was fun to make. Warm holiday wishes from Canada!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this pattern. It is the first crochet tea cozy I have seen that I actually like and would make.

Anonymous said...

Thank you we were looking for a project for our craft group, this will keep them happy.Cheers Marci from Australia

sandra.from chesterfield england said...

yo! ive made some of these for friends n that,they are so loveley when theyre finished!!! i cant stop making em.ta very much.xxx

Giddey Girl said...

Hi, I am going to try this pattern, for a challenge. I was browsing for a Vandyke or zig zag tea cosy pattern as one that my grandmother made was borrowed at the National Folk Festival and is still wandering. It was for a six cup pot, quite old (say 50 years or 70) and made of two pieces of zigzag crochet with holes left at the sides for handle and spout. Your patterns are exciting me to get out the hook and have a go.

M* (Melanie) said...

thanks for sharing this pattern. I really appreciate it. I hope to adapt it a little to fit a plunger pot for a friend.

Judy said...

This is such a great pattern. What a wonderful way to use up odds and ends of yarn. I call mine the "coat of many colors" for my teapot.

Thank you for sharing this great idea.

Judy

Anonymous said...

TYSM for sharing your pattern - I love it! I just hope I can do it ;)
Hugz,
Mary

'THAT CROCHET GUY!!' said...

I've been trying to figure out this pattern. Is it just me, or does working the right side of the shell supposed to awkward to work than the left side?

Also, is there a name for this stitch pattern? Maybe there's a video (if I'm so lucky) that would show how this stitch pattern is done.

jayashree venkat said...

Hello,I am glad i got the written notes to this scalloped stitch.I did find a video of this stitch in youtube but the language was not translate friendly.Will give a try to make a pattern.Tea Cozy?!Thank you.

Megan said...

Just posted a link over at www.crocheteveryday.blogspot.com. I love this pattern!

Anonymous said...

Please explain how to make a fptr or a fpdc. I'm really in love with this tea cozy and am anxious to start making one. I just don't know how to make fptrs/fpdcs. Thanks

Pascalia Boukis said...

The first word of the directions is "Miss".

Please tell me what that means and how to do it.

Thank you

pb

Pascalia said...

Please tell me what "Miss" means and how to do it

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for leaving this pattern for people to use. Depending on how you pair your colors, it can be elegant or fun; or you can make it "holiday themed". Love it!

I am making one for my mother in law as a holiday gift!

Fall 2008 said...

Greetings from Wisconsin USA... it is snowing... afriend sent me to this site.. will get off computer and start right away..

Unknown said...

Hi! This is a lovely pattern, thanks so much for sharing it!
Sue from Ottawa, Canada

smiley4541 said...

this a beautiful pattern i found it easy to remember
thks for sharing
diane ontario canada

Cait said...

its beautiful but as a beginner i think it is going to push me to the edge!! ill need to find a quiet room to try and work out the pattern instructions! wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

Hallo Cupcake
Thanks for sharing the beautiful tea cosy pattern. Tea cosys so hard to find now. Magriet British Columbia

Anonymous said...

Hi cupcake, that has to be the most beautiful tea cozy I've ever seen. Thank you so much for posting it.

My bestest friend and I are absolute tea-holics and we are always looking for a new cozy. She doesn't do any needlework but I do! Guess what she and I are both going to have very soon!

Each pot of tea will make me think of you. much love, 1Happy Granny in Ontario, Canada.

Anonymous said...

Almost finished my first one. Love the pattern. How did u ever work it out?? I've never done a fptr b4; bit of a challenge. Finally worked out that worng side of shells is right side!!! Great pattern. Wendy D Oz

Sylvia said...

Love this tea cozy.
I made my first one finally. I stopped short of the lid part so I can see the cover still.
Next one I might go all the way to the top like you show it here.

Thank your for your instructions. Very clever scallop pattern.

Anonymous said...

I love this site, you have clear precise instructions, good photos. I have been looking for a written patterb for a while, u-tube videos are no good for me. Brilliant work. knitty1212

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for sharing your beautiful tea cozy pattern. My mother just purchased an 8 cup Brown Betty that she has been using a 25+ year old tea cozy on and it is just a bit too small. Three weeks ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and is having surgery, radiation and chemo-theropy starting in next week. I am making this tea cozy as a suprize for her, so that she has a cozy just the right size for her Brown Betty Pot. I hope that she will find some comfort in a hot cup of tea in the difficult days that are coming. I know she will love it, and think it is beautiful!

Thank you!

Megan said...

Thank you, cupcake, for sharing this pattern. I can see from your blog that you have had fun altering the pattern to create an angel & a happy chook, but.... have you thought of adapting it, ever so slightly, into a christmas tree? I think I can imagine it, so I'm going to have a go @ crocheting your pattern in a single colour — forest green — then, fashion a star for the top & add some decorations all over. What do you think?
Cheers & a Merry Christmas 2011
Megan from sunny Adelaide, South Australia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this awesome pattern! I just finished my first version of it :) Hope you don't mind me sharing :D http://pinsandpatience.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/finished-crochet-project-my-fairy-tea-cosy/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely tea cozy with everyone. It is truly a work of art! I can hardly wait to begin! I live in a small town called Lake Stevens here in Washington State, USA. I love to crochet and try new stitches. This scallop stitch in your tea cozy is new to me and I have been crocheting since I was about 10 years old. I am 67, have 7 grandchildren, and lots of friends I make things for. This one is for me. I even bought a new tea pot to put it on!

Grace

Delia (Del) said...

Thank you for the pattern it is lovely.
Delia

Heather said...

I have been wanting to try this stitch. Thanks for the lovely patten.

Amy V. said...

Thanks so much for the free pattern! I'm going to make one for Yarn Corner's exhibit at the Royal Melbourne Show this year - we're planning a wall of teacosies, plus a crochet-covered car and caravan. :)