Sunday, November 05, 2006

Wombats - Marsupial Madness

Well say G'day to the wombats! These are pure marsupial madness and took a bit of figuring out. Creating a wombat in crochet is no easy task.

They had the geat potential to look like a blob. The first version looked a bit blobby, then ratty, then doggy, but I am pleased with the end result.


I found that by changing the yarn and hook size I could vary the size. The speckly baby came out very cute.

Wombats are marsupials and closely related to the koala. They live in burrows and live on grass.

They are nocturnal, so aren't seen out and about much. They can swim, and believe it or not they have square poo! Not sure how that happens but cuboid droppings are a good sign that a wombat is about.


Wombats are stout, sturdy animals and live in burrows. Like the koala they are marsupials. They grow to about 1.3 metres in length, and can weigh up to 36 kg. They have a large, blunt head with small eyes and ears, and a short, muscular neck. Their sharp claws and stubby, powerful legs make them great diggers.

They have a reputation for being sleepy and a bit dim. For this reason blobby, dopey people often get the nick name Wombat. I remember a kid at school who was known as "Wombat".

Thanks for looking!

(c) copyright crochetroo patterns available at etsy - click the button in the links.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love love love it!
<3 Mary

StarKnits said...

love the cute wombats! they look so hugable!

LG said...

Love them!!!

Knitted_Painting said...

aww I love wombats and I think you did a great job!^_^ I didn't know they have square poo though lol I learned something new today =D

Anonymous said...

I really like your site. I've recently returned to knitting, but my daughter crochets, and I am impressed with the speed at which she finishes garments. I love the Knitting Pattern Central website, butI am also looking at the Crochet Pattern Central one, from which I got this link. I may try some crochet projects soon - I would love to do an afghan but I am not very good at finishing things.

Alison from the UK