Sunday, April 13, 2008

Button Blossom Brooch - free crochet pattern


Well I know I am not alone here, but it is nice to be able to whip up something really quick, that looks good and doesn't need stuffing or having its limbs attached!

Retro is in right now. I recently learnt that the correct term for this is "vintage". Apparently that is anything that is at least 20 years old. Sadly, (or fortunately) just about everything in my house would be classed as "vintage" by this definition!

I never realised until I started looking at "vintage" what a gold mine I had stuffed in the cupboards. All those old leather handbags, and ornaments, not to mention hubs hideous 70s tie collection. In fact half the stuff in my kitchen is "vintage" and here was I thinking it was just junk from the 70s and 80s!

We got married in the year of the casserole dish. I swear, we received about 20 casserole dishes. Pottery ones, crown corning ones, Pyrex in orange and yellow, crock pots, and corning ware ones. Some with cornflowers and some with onions and veges. And now it is vintage - and people actually pay money and collect the stuff! There are some things I will never understand.

So these are my Button Blossoms which use a sniff of yarn and an old - er "vintage" button.

I have a huge plastic container of old er "vintage" buttons, mostly all odd so I have discovered these brooches are a great use of odd scraps as well as the buttons.

They also sell well at the school fair and look fabulous in a card as a gift. Maybe just the thing for Mum on Mothers Day.


Button Blossom Brooches

Australian UK terms first/ USA terms second

8 ply yarn, worsted weight, double knit or equivalent yarn, hook size 4mm, J6 . Weight and hook size doesn't matter. Use what you feel comfortable with.

You will need a safety pin or bobby pin, and of course a pretty "vintage" button.

Round 1: 4ch slst into a ring, 2ch 9htr/hdc into ring, slst join = 10

Round 2: 1ch (1dc/sc into next st, 4ch, miss 1) 5times slst join into first st. You should have 5 loops


Round 3: Into each of the ch loops work (1dc/sc, 1htr/hdc, 3tr/dc, 1htr/hdc, 1dc/sc) do not join = 5 petals


Round 4: working in front of previous row into missed sp work (3tr/dc, 1htr/hdc, 1dc/sc) around slst join in first tr/dc of round, finish off leaving a 30cm/12in length of yarn = 5petals

Thread yard onto a sewing needle and stitch a button to the centre, and a safety pin or bobby pin to the back. These make a great accessory for hats, bags and scarfs.


Now isn't that pretty!



(c) crochetroo 2008. Please do not reproduce or copy my pattern by any means. However I am happy for you to make button blossoms until the cows come home. Enjoy!

31 comments:

Cats-Rockin-Crochet said...

I thought it was about time I left a comment on your blog, I've read it many times. I love your button blossom brooch. I am currently working on some of my own idea's for buttons and other things that are DIY. Of course they are crochet related. Pop by blog sometime. Cheers Cat.

Anonymous said...

Lovely creation!!! Thank yo for sharing!!

Jo in southwestern Indiana, USA

CraftyAshley said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Debbi-a1 said...

Love the brooch! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love these!

Heather said...

I am loving that yellow one that you made...that "vintage" button is just great!!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean we are alos vintage?

Love the button and yes, I have several things that are now vintage. I love it when teh kids put on bell bottom pants and call them low riders with boot cut.

The other day I saw someone with mini skirt with go go boots. Go figure

Mary Jo

Crafty Things said...

Love the flowers and the button centres. You are not alone with the "vintage" disbelief!

Wanda Kay said...

The button brooch is a great idea, leave it up to you to come up with it. I think I'll have to keep my eyes open for antique and vintage button's at the auction so I can make a few.

Vinita said...

I've been crocheting lots of flowers lately but the button idea idea is just great !!!It makes the flower look beautiful !!! Will surely try this sometime.

sukigirl said...

Love your blog!
I have to say that for years I picked up goodies at the thrift shops and when the vintage tag caught on I was
annoyed at first because it was harder and harder to find things like old aprons, tea towels, fabric, etc.
Then I started seeing all the really cool things people made with these items and how sharing everyone was!
I love it and again thanks for sharing your great ideas!!

Amanda said...

hi, i like your brooch. May I made one of that, for my personal use?
Thanks

Anonymous said...

This is a darling pattern.

Anonymous said...

Great Tutorial on the Button Flowers. Very sweet.

Pau F said...

yay!!! the instructions were super easy to follow and the result is too cute! thanks for the pattern!

Lindsay said...

Does anyone know how to switch colors on the flower? I'm new to crocheting and absolutely love this little pattern!
I think it would be really fun to have the back flower one color and the second flower a different color. Let me know...
What about the beanie pattern?
Anyone know where I could find/buy?
Thank you!

VJ said...

Lindsay, if you go to youtube there's lots of crochet videos. Here's one that might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guWRMsC_4Eo

Victoria

VJ said...

I love this flower. I used a mohair and it's going on a hat. Thanks for posting it. Sorry you are having trouble with people misusing your patterns. Shame on them!!!!
Victoria

Anonymous said...

This is a great pattern. I have used it with crocheet cotton and use an acrylic gem in the center and voila add a pin back and there you have it. A quick seller for any craft fair.

A Crochet Pattern A Week Place said...

OMG I just love the hat that you havce on with the flower pin. Do you have tghe pattern for it? i would reallylove it. Please please please.
Thanks Heidi

Anonymous said...

I love your flower brooch. I am also greatful for your talent. I especially love the hat! Do you by chance have a pattern for that? Thanks for sharing. Joanna

singapore florist said...

so lovely. thanks for sharing the steps too :)

liannallama said...

love your blossoms and your had is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I saw a scarf that had a similar button blossom for a closure. It had a button on top and underneath. The underneath button buttoned the 2 layers of scarf together (double crochet scarf). It held it together and looked very fashionable. I enjoyed your comments about 'vintage'.
I heard a joke about antiques: The only one interested in what your grandma had was your grandpa. :)

Lori said...

It seems I am a little late to this post. I found it this morning on a crochet site.

Nice idea. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Anonymous said...

I love your pattern and your sense of humor. Now I have to check out my bottle containing 'vintage' buttons.
Thanks for sharing.

randilaine said...

I love this pattern!!! I made some for my friends daughters 5th bday, she wears them in her hair all the time! Now I'm making more for my god-daughter, we're going to hot glue them to a headband for her to wear on her 1st bday!

Barbara said...

This is so pretty. I love the double layers. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

I made a Shaw wrap I held it together with the brochure by the shoulder. Its awesome thanks for the idea

Anonymous said...

Really cute pattern. I just didnt get what you ment "into each of the loops"

PLEASE HELP. I REALLY WANT TO MAKE THIS FLOWER INTO A NICE LITTLE PIN :-( :-( :-( :'( :'( :'(

allisonalto said...

Just the other day I was going through some boxes in the attic and discovered a trove of VINTAGE buttons from long-departed seamstress relatives, my great-aunt in particular. Now I have a quick project to try right away! Thank you for posting your creation.