· Take a stand against racism, prejudice and intolerance;
· Help build a peaceful and productive future for our children by setting an example of how to live in harmony, making the most of our racial, cultural, social and religious diversity; and
· Put into practice the best of traditional Australian values - justice, equality, fairness and friendship.
· Celebrate Australia's many successes as a diverse and harmonious multicultural society;
· Re-commit to our common values of respect and goodwill towards our fellow Australian's of all backgrounds;
· Say 'no' to racism.
The yarn is called surprise from Lincraft and I used 2 balls. Each ball has about 160 metre and a thickness of about 9wpi. Any variegated yarn will do however this yarn has a lovely soft feel and a bright array of colours. It reminds me of the diversity in the Harmony Day banner.
Hook H8/ 5mm
Shell = (2tr/dc 2ch 2tr/dc) worked into the 2ch sp of previous row.
1. Start with a 6ch, slst join into a loop. 1ch start then 12dc/sc into ring, slst join.
2. 5ch start (counts as 1 tr/dc 2ch throughout), (1tr/dc 2ch) into next st 9times = 10 posts TURN
3. 5ch start, (1tr/dc 2ch) into ch sp 4 times, into next ch sp ( 2tr/dc 2ch 2tr/dc) shell, 2ch then repeat (1tr/dc 2ch) into next 4 ch sp, 1tr/dc into 3rd ch of start ch, TURN.
4. 5ch start, (1tr/dc 2ch) into ch sp, work shell into shell sp, then continue 2ch, (1tr/dc 2ch) into ch sp till end, 1tr/dc into 3rd ch of start ch, TURN, repeat this row for 5, 6 and 7.
8. 5ch start, *(1tr/dc 2ch) into ch sp 4 times, into next ch sp ( 2tr/dc 2ch 2tr/dc) shell into next sp*, 2ch* repeat *-* around giving you 3 shells in the row, finish row as before with 1tr/dc into 3rd ch of start ch, TURN .
9 – 12 work as before with a shell in each of the 3 shells in each round
13. Repeat row 8 = 7 shells
Continue pattern on these stitches for approx 13 rounds = 26 in total or until you are almost out of yarn.
Last round. 1dc/sc into first sp, 20ch 1dc/sc same sp, then * (3ch 1dc/sc) each space till you reach shell (1dc/sc 20 ch 1dc/sc) in shell space*, repeat from * - * till end of row, work (1dc/sc 20 ch 1dc/sc) in last loop.
Continue to work along side edge of rows with (3ch 1dc/sc) each space till you reach the start, slst join into first dc/sc, weave in ends.
Holding each 20 ch loop in half, tie a knot.
You can tie the corners across the back and achieve a shrug like effect. I ended up sewing a button onto one of the corners to make it hold.Enjoy wearing your harmony wrap and remember to be inclusive and harmonous all year round.
(c) crochetroo Australia